General Maille: How do YOU organize and plan?

Dkryptyk

This is a general ask of a few things. I am interested in making maille and potentially crafting a side business. I am interested in hearing different perspectives on how people go about organizing themselves to be able to sell at shows, flea markets, or online.

I am interested in how people organize different patterns. How you document steps or supplies needed. How you may store or display different pieces.
In saying this, I do understand that there is a wealth of knowledge on the internet, here on this forum, and in books regarding how to do weaves, where to get supplies, etc. I'm more so asking about the individual, how you may go about these things yourselves. Do you create an example piece, or multiple of the same piece in different wire gages and ARs? How do you store these to be able to reference them effectively? Do you document how many rings it should take?

I am also interested in methods people use to store any stock they may have to bring to flea markets, trade shows, or to sell online. How much variety or how niche should the options be. How do you keep track of your expenses vs profits, what are some things that a novice may not consider when making this sort of business plan.

Here is a brief insight into my current mid-long-term goal: I want to make simple bits of jewelry (earrings, bracelets, etc.), TTRPG accessories (Dice bags or similar), Baubles (fidget spinners, hot plates, coasters), potentially "armor"/garments. I know that encompassing all of this is a bit of wide scope for a business, if i had to pick 2: Jewelry & Baubles (I suppose TTRPG accessories can fall into baubles.) I hope to spend 1-2 weekends a month attending a local jockey lot/flea market where it is a flat price to rent a table.
I am currently setting aside enough funds to buy proper pliers (the ones i own have teeth, i have just been practicing on galvanized electric fence wire) and a kit of multiple different ring diameters and ARs. I will then potentially look at getting my own mandrels and my own drill to do the wire wrapping myself.

Any and all insight or advice would be much appreciated!

uswarlord

Advertisement
at least for me on the doing the different weaves. its best to star with oversized rings to get a mental image of what the pattern is going to look like and to get down a basic idea of how its going to be to make. for me I don't have any reference swatches for myself on weaves/patterns. most of it is a how do you want it to look and once you find what works and that you like how it looks stick with that ar granted and as you get a feel for it you'll know what to change when you want to change something in it. i primarily do scalemail and regular 4 in one in heavy gauge steel with relatively small ring for function over form. the way I organize my rings is tallboy cans with the lid cut off as they store a lot of rings. most of the documentation on steps to a pattern for me is just mental/muscle memory. as when you create anything of a decent size depending on the size of your rings you've done the pattern 50 plus times and have it memorized and you make the adjustments to your technique as you go. good luck in your endeavor