Butterfly

Rachel E.

I can't seem to find the weave that I thought was called "butterfly" (with a different variation shown in the 4th photo with the beads) on this site. I've included pictures below, but does anyone know what this weave is officially called and if it is in the Maillepedia?
5633D388-5169-4853-AF94-C36C89DD7B73_1_201_a.jpeg
885FC7EC-D188-4F13-B98A-6D688274FF95_1_201_a.jpeg
0677DFD4-F2DB-4CB9-9D92-9EDA4CD0E1C0_1_201_a.jpeg
6B7B977C-3513-4081-A1C6-B022CF825104_1_201_a.jpeg

Rachel E.

Thanks for your response! I'm not sure what you mean by "non-contracted", but my first three photos look exactly like "Sunrise" but without the ring that pulls the weave in tighter (the rings that I pointed to in red arrows).
AC76257C-681D-4461-81CD-8E301442E29C_1_201_a.jpeg

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
The rings that you have arrows pointing to are the ones that cause Sunrise to be a contraction of Butterfly (or Butterfly being a non-contracted version of Sunrise).

They basically shorten the length that the chain would be if they were not present, contracting it.

You might be surprised at how many weaves this applies to 😁

Rachel E.

Thanks for your helpful information - I guess it's true that there's no limit to the number of possible weaves!!

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
I should probably clarify further as my explanation was more geared to the discussion at hand. Sunrise would be a contraction of the weave that you did in your first 3 pictures, which is technically neither Butterfly or Sunrise. I believe that it does have a name, but it's escaping me at the moment

In our nomenclature (which is still being worked on), the weave that you did in the first 3 pictures uses modified Celtic cells (the 4 additional vertical rings are the modification). Butterfly uses tethered compound cells (which are made up of a mobius and 2 modified 2/3 Celtic cells).

That probably made it about as clear as mud. I'll try to make some renders to show what I mean :D

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
Here you go.

On the right is the modified Celtic Cell used in the weave in your first 3 pictures.
Blue rings are the modification rings to the Celtic Cell. Copper rings are the Celtic Cell.

On the left is the Compound cell used in Butterfly.
Brass rings are the modified 2/3 Celtic cells (missing 2 blue and 2 copper). Stainless rings are the mobius that is present in Butterfly

Butterfly-Sunrise.png

Rachel E.

Wow, okay, I think I understood most of that!!! And now I fully understand what you meant by,
"Out of your pictures, the beaded one is the closest to the weave named Butterfly as listed on MAIL (the difference is that the beads would be 3 ring mobius)"

Thanks for the thorough explanation and images!

One last question: In the true butterfly weave, is there only one size of ring used for the whole weave?

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
One last question: In the true butterfly weave, is there only one size of ring used for the whole weave?
From what I can tell, the weave is generally done with 2 sizes of rings (with different wire diameters, but around the same AR). The rings with the thicker WD are used for the mobius

Bobbie

Established Member
Established Member
I found this if it helps?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bobbie

Established Member
Established Member
Advertisement
I can't seem to find the weave that I thought was called "butterfly" (with a different variation shown in the 4th photo with the beads) on this site. I've included pictures below, but does anyone know what this weave is officially called and if it is in the Maillepedia? View attachment 5662 View attachment 5663 View attachment 5664 View attachment 5665
I don't know if this helps or not but here is another link,