Hoodoo Sheet Advice

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member
I have been trying to make Hoodoo Sheet using the connection method for a while now and I can't seem to get to look like the example images. My best attempt so far is below:

hoodoo_sheet_attempt.jpg

I have been using 16 SWG 1/4" ID AR 4 rings, but it seems that the rings from the chains I join aren't properly going into their vertical orientation. If anyone has any advice on how I could fix this I would greatly appreciate it.

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
From what I can tell, the major problem is that you're missing the connections, that force the rings into their vertical orientation. (everything but light blue)
Inkedhoodoo_sheet_attempt.jpg

The light blue (on the left) is a missed connection.

Hope that helps :D

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member
Thank you very much for the notes. I will re-evaluate and try to make it again.

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member
Thank you for the advice. Following it I ended up making the sample in the image below.

hoodoo_sheet_flat.jpg

I was using 16 SWG 1/4" ID(AR 4.03) rings and I found it very tight and difficult to weave. If anyone has any advice on how to weave it more easily I would be greatly appreciative. Until I find a way to weave it easily this will be a bit of a no-go for me.

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
Advertisement
It's always been a ORAAT (one ring at a time) weave for me, at least after the initial chain is made. As with anything, practice makes it easier. A lot of maille is muscle memory, just remembering how to twist that ring to get it into the spot you want. Some weaves I've made multiple times, but until the muscle memory takes over, there's a lot of floundering around when starting something.

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member
Fair enough. If I think of a fun use case for it in the future perhaps I will come back to it and get better at making it.