Spinal Elf

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member
Advertisement
Hello, I am planning on making a Spinal Elf(stabilized Elfweave variant shown in the attached picture) with rubber rings to avoid clasps bracelet as a Christmas gift. The recipient strongly desires the blue glow in the dark rings from The Ring Lord(GITD-1614-BLUE). Unfortunately The Ring Lord only sells those rings in a Wire Diameter of 0.056" (I think 17 SWG) 1/4" ID. I was just wondering if anyone had any idea how different would the weave be if I used the 17SWG 1/4" ID rings for the rubber rings(as shown in the picture) with other 16SWG 1/4" ID rings?

Attachments

• spinal_elf_rubber.png
    spinal_elf_rubber.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 39

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to say as I'm not familiar with the AR's required for Spinal Elf. I can say that the mandrel AR for 16 SWG (1.63mm), 1/4" is 3.9 and the mandrel AR for 17 SWG (1.42mm) 1/4" is 4.47

Please note: Mandrel AR does not account for springback or any other variables.

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member
Hard to say as I'm not familiar with the AR's required for Spinal Elf. I can say that the mandrel AR for 16 SWG (1.63mm), 1/4" is 3.9 and the mandrel AR for 17 SWG (1.42mm) 1/4" is 4.47

Please note: Mandrel AR does not account for springback or any other variables.
In my experience(limited as it is) it is very similar to Elfweave(just add some rings to the sides to prevent closure). Do you think that Elfweave could work with a 17SWG 1/4" ID rings Where I have the rubber rings? Regarding the 17SWG rings in questions they should not have springback as they are molded right?

Maybe I should just get backup rubber rings that are 16 SWG in addition to the Blue glow in the dark ones?

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
In my experience(limited as it is) it is very similar to Elfweave(just add some rings to the sides to prevent closure). Do you think that Elfweave could work with a 17SWG 1/4" ID rings Where I have the rubber rings? Regarding the 17SWG rings in questions they should not have springback as they are molded right?

Maybe I should just get backup rubber rings that are 16 SWG in addition to the Blue glow in the dark ones?
Elfweave should be made using two different ring sizes. My sample seems to be 3.0/3.5.