P.O.T.M. Weave Naming "*tines"

Poll of the Month

What factor is most important in "*tines"?

• 90 Degree Rotation

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
One thing that most can probably agree on is that weave naming in chainmaille is all over the place. While most will call weaves by whatever is most comfortable for them I prefer a more consistent approach. With that in mind I'm currently interested in thoughts about the "*tine" weaves (Boxantine, Byzantine, Persiantine, etc.)

BT-Byz-PT.jpg

Please note: This render was done with an oversize AR and single tether for clarity of the concept. Violet rings are tether rings.

From Top to Bottom:
  1. Boxantine
  2. Byzantine
  3. Persiantine

What can be seen as common between these 3 weaves is that, each weave cells (right column) is made up of 2 instances of the middle column which are rotated 90 degrees from each other and result in the creation of a mirrored unit (if you remove the first tether ring):
BT-Byz-PT-mirrored.jpg

What do you think is the "defining" factor of a "tine" weave? Is it the rotation, the mirroring, that the rotation results in a mirroring, or something else entirely?

My personal thought is that it's the 90 degree rotation resulting in a mirroring, as you can have rotations, and you can have mirroring in weaves that are not co-dependent, but I'm definitely open to hearing your opinions. :D

steampunkgarage

Established Member
Beta Tester
Vendor
I don't consider this to be its own category of weaves. Anytime you take a "unit" that can live on it's own in a stable way and attach it straight across to another unit, I think it falls into the category of a "bolted" weave or a "web" weave when made into a sheet. For example, this is a bolted persephone weave:

Attachments

• etsy4.jpg
    etsy4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 57

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
Advertisement
I don't consider this to be its own category of weaves. Anytime you take a "unit" that can live on it's own in a stable way and attach it straight across to another unit, I think it falls into the category of a "bolted" weave or a "web" weave when made into a sheet. For example, this is a bolted persephone weave:
Whether or not they're their own category of weaves is a topic for a completely different discussion ;) This is predominantly about the naming of "*tine" weaves and what would constitute one.

Off the top of my head, there's
  • Byzantine
  • Boxantine
  • Helmantine
  • Persiantine
  • Trizantine
Or are you saying that none of them are "valid" weaves in your opinion?

edited to add: Do you consider Byzantine "Bolted Box"?

Last edited: