AR let down

CaysCraftyCreations

Established Member
Beta Tester
Anyone have serious frustration follow some of the AR'S from M.A.I.L.? I have recently made 3 weaves with the ideal AR, especially when the text on the weave suggest a very specific AR and I have had to start all over with smaller rings, or adjust the design because it just wouldn't work with the said AR. And yes I check and calculate the AR of my rings.

Nologic

That happens to me, too. I sometimes wonder if they are using bigger rings to make the photos more visible. It's easier to show ring paths with big rings. Some will give an A.R. range which is more helpful. But I figure with M.A.I.L. I'm getting a starting point and I need to play around to see what works. What I don't like is when I buy a tutorial and they give ring size and wire gauge. But they do not give the material of the wire, if it is SWG or AWG , or the wire diameter. And they don't give the A.R. Any of those would help me out, especially if they gave me the A.R. of the rings they used. I will often try to contact the designer to get the A.R., but I don't always hear back.

CaysCraftyCreations

Established Member
Beta Tester
I have my preferences set for the ring gauge I use, and I follow the AR that is recommended not just the ring size. Last weave I tried recommended an AR of 5.5. I used AR of 4.6 and it turned out perfect.

As for tutorials, I have written quite a few and always include swg or awg as well as actually AR of the rings I used not just a general AR for that particular size as different companies have different end AR's.

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
The thing is, The ARs, both on MAIL and here, and other resources such as CMB are reported by trial and error. Elfweave was commonly made at 4.2 which is why there's so many variants until the community helped and reported their results.