How Can I Take Better Photos of Chainmaille

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member
A while ago I started a blog where I try a new chainmaille weave every week and post what I made along with some thoughts. Currently the photos I am taking of my chainmaille aren't very good. I am looking into ways to improve them; however if anyone has any chainmaille specific or general tips on how to improve I would greatly appreciate the tips/advice. For context I currently just have my cellphone, no camera stand or equivalent, and I am looking into better lighting options.

vampregrl

Maybe not a popular opinion but I do mine in a darker area and let the night mode on my iPhone do the work. No flash.

I do have a light box but I don’t use the lights so it’s just dark in the box.

Attachments

• IMG_4175.jpeg
    IMG_4175.jpeg
    662.7 KB · Views: 61

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member
Maybe not a popular opinion but I do mine in a darker area and let the night mode on my iPhone do the work. No flash.

I do have a light box but I don’t use the lights so it’s just dark in the box.

I tried that with the best camera I had available(a pixel 3a) and it unfortunately did not turn out very well(In my opinion). Though thank you for your suggestion. If you have any ancillary ideas I could try I would be glad to hear them.

Attachments

• sample.jpg
    sample.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50

Htaverna

You need a better light box- goggle it and there are videos to show you how to make one. Others have shot their work in natural light, and great results. The background you have your piece on is too shiny- try plain paper white/ grey but not black unless you dust off the tiny particles.. almost impossible. Good luck! A lot can be done with a good photo app as well. You can clean things up, but picture needs to be in sharp focus first- then you can do anything!

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member
You need a better light box- goggle it and there are videos to show you how to make one. Others have shot their work in natural light, and great results. The background you have your piece on is too shiny- try plain paper white/ grey but not black unless you dust off the tiny particles.. almost impossible. Good luck! A lot can be done with a good photo app as well. You can clean things up, but picture needs to be in sharp focus first- then you can do anything!
Thank you for your suggestion. I have checked out some of the online lightbox tutorials and I may try them out. I will give white backgrounds a chance though I might switch back to continue using black background though as I have been using them and so far I prefer them.

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Color match backgrounds. For copper, do a dark green as an example.