How to Make a CGI Image

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member
For the people who make the CGI weave photos/tutorials, how do you make them, and do you have any tutorials you can link to on how to make them?

silverknitter

For the people who make the CGI weave photos/tutorials, how do you make them, and do you have any tutorials you can link to on how to make them?
I am in the same place as you. My photos suck and I decided to look into cgi. Unfortunately nobody seems to do them anymore :(
I even went to the archived section of M.a.i.l.l.e but this discussion is quite old. How I wish it would still be alive!
I was hoping that there is a tool that does not require learning about stuff that one does not need for the representation of rings. If you happen to find one, keep me please informed!

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
I really thought I replied to this thread. All the maillepedia entries, maillesplosions were done either in Maya by Phong Phong or by me in Blender. All animailletions were done by me in Blender.

The tutorial that I started learning with can be found here:

Although Blender has come really far since that tutorial was made, the basics are still the same even in the current version of the program. You're still dealing with torus and major and minor radius to make the rings.

The main things you need to know are that
  • Major radius = 1/2 ID + minor radius
  • Minor radius = 1/2 WD
While that tutorial gives one equation for figuring out the AR, I personally like to do it in the other direction. By that I mean I start with the AR and then work backwards to figure out the Major and Minor radius needed for the torus.

For example if I wanted a ring with an AR of 4.0 that has a WD of 1.0 (19swg):

4.0 x .5 = 2
2 + .5 = 2.5

So in this case, the Minor radius would be .5 and the Major radius would be 2.5

if we wanted to find out the values for a WD of 1.22 (18swg) ring, then the math would be:

4.0 x .61 = 2.44
2.44 + .61 = 3.05

Minor radius .61 and the Major radius = 3.05

So the equation now becomes:

AR + (1/2WD) = X
X + (1/2 WD) = Major Radius

Hope that helps :D

silverknitter

I really thought I replied to this thread. All the maillepedia entries, maillesplosions were done either in Maya by Phong Phong or by me in Blender. All animailletions were done by me in Blender.

Thank you for your detailed reply. I think it is time to spend some time with blender :)

I hope that the 4 weeks course I had for 3Dmax many years ago will prepare me for this. If not, time to learn something entirly new!

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member

Although Blender has come really far since that tutorial was made, the basics are still the same even in the current version of the program. You're still dealing with torus and major and minor radius to make the rings.

The main things you need to know are that
  • Major radius = 1/2 ID + minor radius
  • Minor radius = 1/2 WD
While that tutorial gives one equation for figuring out the AR, I personally like to do it in the other direction. By that I mean I start with the AR and then work backwards to figure out the Major and Minor radius needed for the torus.

For example if I wanted a ring with an AR of 4.0 that has a WD of 1.0 (19swg):

4.0 x .5 = 2
2 + .5 = 2.5

So in this case, the Minor radius would be .5 and the Major radius would be 2.5

if we wanted to find out the values for a WD of 1.22 (18swg) ring, then the math would be:

4.0 x .61 = 2.44
2.44 + .61 = 3.05

Minor radius .61 and the Major radius = 3.05

So the equation now becomes:

AR + (1/2WD) = X
X + (1/2 WD) = Major Radius

Thank you so much for that link and your advice that is like a gold mine. I will try that tutorial out when I get some time.