Maille books

Bryan Szafranski

Beta Tester
Does anyone here have any of he chainmaille books that are available for sale? If so, which ones do you find helpful, and which ones not so much?

Bryan Szafranski

Beta Tester
Sorry, still exploring the site in more detail, and didn't notice the book review area. I'll be looking through it tonight for sure.

Cheryl Sherry

I have a few of them....Chained, Classic Chain Maille Jewelry, Chain and Bead Jewelry and many magazines that have chain maille in them ocassionally.

LMC

I've purchased several books. Chained, and both of Karen Karon's books are some of my favorites.

Theresa

I have quite a few and while they are handy if you want to quickly look for something I tend to agree that the web & YouTube are much more helpful. I do like Karen Karon's first book for reference.

Ginger Garnitz

Beta Tester
While not books, Spider's two Weaving Silver DVDs are worth the investment. They far outshine even the best youtube videos.

Mimi

Established Member
Beta Tester
I got started on this journey by purchasing Sue Ripsch's Classic Chain Mail Jewelry. Followed that up with Chained by Rebecca Mojica and Sue Ripsch's Classic Chain Mail Jewelry with a Twist.

Ginkage

While there are many tutorials and references online, I love having the books so I can look at them when my eyes don't like the computer screen. :) Chained is still one of my go-tos. I also on occasion like to pack them to take to conventions just in case someone wants a visual example of a pattern that I might not have on my table.

Sharyn Hamilton

Established Member
Established Member
Chained by Rebeca Mojica has been my favorite since I've gotten it, among all the books I have. It has a lot of really great information besides excellent tutorials.

Mlouzzz

The first book I bought a few years ago. It was something like 'chainmail jewelry'. Learned it with that book and loved it. Unfortunately I lost it, I have no idea where it is and have looked everywhere :-(. I have chained and chainmaille workshop as E-books, both are great. And recently I got from my boyfriend 'advanced chainmaille jewelry workshop'. Can't wait to start on the scale necklaces. Love them!

Daniel H.

Established Member
Established Member
While most can be learned online, I do like some of the tutorials that can only be found in the books or special projects that are located in there. The Chained book is one where you can either buy tuts separately or buy the whole book and get all of them covered. They also have some unique views on weaves that can be worth the cost or at least maybe a trip to the library. The Karen Karon books have some great tutorials in there and project ideas.

Traceybell

I like the books for inspiration and details. I love to look at things online, but for me I'm a paper hoarder and end up printing to look at. My one tip for some of the books is to take them to a Staples or similar and have the spines cut off and the books put into spiral bound books. Much easier to lay down on your table and easier to flip through without losing your place.

Katie

I get most of my tutorials off the web. However, when I find a book I like I will snatch it up.

Anne VanLoon

I have quite a few of the books-some of the instructions aren't useful to me, but I love the ideas. One of my current favorites is Chain Mail + Color. There is a nice write up in there about aluminum which I have found helpful for selling points. I never realized how much history there was behind a metal we take for granted!