Making Jump Rings

Castle Mark

Hi Folks, I'm a new member here. Hope you are all doing well.
I'm really loving making chain maille bracelets. It's very relaxing and it's even a way to sell my creations and bring in some cash.
Buying rings has presented itself as a daunting task. It seems that there are only two internet shops that offer a wide selection of sizes and colors. The price, however, really adds up when buying rings.
I have been watching videos about the Pepe Jump Ring Maker. The process seems to be fairly easy. After doing some math, the savings of making my own rings is considerable.
Couple of questions, if you don't mind?

Anyone here use the Pepe Tool?

Where is a reliable source to buy copper plated and anodized aluminum wire?

Thanks for your time. I look forward to communicating with all of you.

Thanks,
Castle Mark

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester
Welcome to the site. :) Unfortunately, I haven't used the Pepe tool so I can't help you there, but I have a few questions for you.
  • Which internet shops have you checked?
  • Are you currently mailling as a business or do you plan to in the future?
  • How much maille do you make?
  • Do you generally work in "non-standard" sizes?
  • Would you consider yourself a high volume crafter?
  • Did you consider the value of the time that would be "lost" making your own rings (coiling, cutting, deburring, cleaning) in your cost calculations?
Ring cutting equipment, whether Pepe or a Ringinator, is a sizable initial investment and there are continued maintenance costs to consider (blades, lubricant, wire, mandrels, etc.). I just want to make sure that you have as much information as possible when doing your math on the "savings" from making your own rings. Please, please don't forget about the time involved in making your own rings as well. Too many people don't consider "time" to have a value and I feel that is doing a disservice to oneself. After all, the time spent making rings could be spent making items to sell. :)

I'm going to tag Jenifer from steampunkgarage steampunkgarage as I believe she has spoken about this topic before. Hopefully she'll chime in with her opinion :)

Castle Mark

Welcome to the site. :) Unfortunately, I haven't used the Pepe tool so I can't help you there, but I have a few questions for you.
  • Which internet shops have you checked?
  • Are you currently mailling as a business or do you plan to in the future?
  • How much maille do you make?
  • Do you generally work in "non-standard" sizes?
  • Would you consider yourself a high volume crafter?
  • Did you consider the value of the time that would be "lost" making your own rings (coiling, cutting, deburring, cleaning) in your cost calculations?
Ring cutting equipment, whether Pepe or a Ringinator, is a sizable initial investment and there are continued maintenance costs to consider (blades, lubricant, wire, mandrels, etc.). I just want to make sure that you have as much information as possible when doing your math on the "savings" from making your own rings. Please, please don't forget about the time involved in making your own rings as well. Too many people don't consider "time" to have a value and I feel that is doing a disservice to oneself. After all, the time spent making rings could be spent making items to sell. :)

I'm going to tag Jenifer from steampunkgarage steampunkgarage as I believe she has spoken about this topic before. Hopefully she'll chime in with her opinion :)
  • Which internet shops have you checked? So far I have bought rings from Weave Got Maille. Ringlord's website, in my opinion, is a navigation nightmare. I have checked others, but their offerings are limited.

• Are you currently mailling as a business or do you plan to in the future? Yes, I am approaching retirement and will be making necklaces, bracelets and earrings to sell online and at craft fairs, etc. We currently have one room in the house that will be dededicated to the business for tax purposes.
  • How much maille do you make? I currently produce bracelets and necklaces daily.
  • Do you generally work in "non-standard" sizes? I don't use non-standard sizes.
  • Would you consider yourself a high volume crafter? As we ramp up, my wife and I will both be making product to sell.
  • Did you consider the value of the time that would be "lost" making your own rings (coiling, cutting, deburring, cleaning) in your cost calculations? I am currently not working. Even in this booming post Covid job market, employers will not hire a 63 year old person. We have lots of time to prepare for a retirement business. Weave Got Mail currently charges about 12 bucks for an ounce of aluminum rings. 54 bucks for an ounce of sterling silver, which will be our material of choice in addition to gold filled rings. After easy math, I can make an ounce of aluminum rings for about $2.00 and an ounce of sterling silver rings for more than half off the retail price.