Persian Dragonscale

Persian Dragonscale band page

TourmalineTerror95

I'm curious if it's possible to make a sheet version of Persian Dragonscale, using this chain pattern/weave, like how you can with a chain of EU 6 in 1, or normal Dragonscale. Anyone know if there's a way to make a sheet version of Persian Dragonscale?

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
I'm curious if it's possible to make a sheet version of Persian Dragonscale, using this chain pattern/weave, like how you can with a chain of EU 6 in 1, or normal Dragonscale. Anyone know if there's a way to make a sheet version of Persian Dragonscale?

Not in a traditional sense. It’s a tube with two classical weaves.

You have to make several changes to the weave to make it repeat itself with only elements aready present.

TourmalineTerror95

Not in a traditional sense. It’s a tube with two classical weaves.

You have to make several changes to the weave to make it repeat itself with only elements aready present.
Interesting, at least I can now stop puzzling myself on how to expand the chain into a sheet by trying to join two of the same pattern/weave at their sides! When you say "traditional sense", is that a reference to the usual sheet patterns/weaves of Dragonscale, or to the traditional Persian sheet patterns/weaves? Also, knowing that this chain can't be used as a foundation for a sheet version of Persian Dragonscale makes me wonder if using any of the traditional Persian sheet patterns/weaves work, like how EU 4 in 1 is for several Dragonscale patterns/weaves.

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Interesting, at least I can now stop puzzling myself on how to expand the chain into a sheet by trying to join two of the same pattern/weave at their sides! When you say "traditional sense", is that a reference to the usual sheet patterns/weaves of Dragonscale, or to the traditional Persian sheet patterns/weaves? Also, knowing that this chain can't be used as a foundation for a sheet version of Persian Dragonscale makes me wonder if using any of the traditional Persian sheet patterns/weaves work, like how EU 4 in 1 is for several Dragonscale patterns/weaves.

Traditional sense, I use here as a stans in for the general idea of a continous sheet. There are several techniques for making sheets out of chains - some are more ”true” than other.

Almost all chains can be tied together like the classical byzantine sheet, https://www.mailleartisans.org/weaves/weavedisplay.php?key=267

However, that sheet sparked reaktions leading to a weave that’s not introducing something new when making the sheet; https://chainmaillers.com/maillepedia/dense-byzantine-sheet.266/

So traditional sense, in that no new elements or techniques are needed.

A good start in this topic is getting to understand interwoven 4-1 - a weave that is very close to persian dragonscale.

Where persian dragonscale uses half persian 3-1 edging, interwoven uses half persian 2-1 edging. Using a balanced half persian 4-1 or 2-1 edging would not need introductions of new elements to make a sheet.

Now, Scott Will disagree with me, but he’s wrong 😜; when reducing the cells down to the lowest reocurring segment, some rings Will do double duty and appear in several different cells, and only the rings in the middle of persian dragonscale don’t.

One way of making persian dragonscale wider would for example be increasing the middle row to several rows.

TourmalineTerror95

I'm familiar with the Interwoven EU 4 in 1 Dragonscale pattern/weave, so I can see some similarities to the Persian sheet patterns/weaves there, which is what makes me curious about the possibility of an alternative way to make a Persian Dragonscale sheet pattern/weave, by instead of expanding the chains width, using a traditional Persian sheet pattern/weave as the foundation (like how EU 4 in 1 is for normal Dragonscale, or Interwoven EU 4 in 1 Dragonscale).
When making this pattern/weave of chain, I use the 2nd method found in Phong's CGI tutorial, wherein you start off with EU 4 in 1, but before starting step #2, I added another 3 rows to the width of the current EU 4 in 1 chain, then resume the tutorial down the original 3 rows of EU 4 in 1, resulting in a Persian Dragonscale chain that's got 3 extra rows of EU 4 in 1 attached on one side; it's with this extra 3 rows that I have been trying to initiate another chain of the Persian Dragonscale pattern/weave, while also making another 3 rows of EU 4 in 1 (in prep for the next row of completed Persian Dragonscale). Between the method I've been trying, & the method of using a traditional Persian sheet pattern/weave as a foundation for the dragonscale (like how EU 4 in 1 is), which is more likely to be successful?

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
I don’t understand what you mean after the last ampersand.

If you instead of folding rings to hp3-1 on the edges fold to balanced hp4-1, you will get an even weave.

TourmalineTerror95

Ah, that's me asking what's more likely to successfully create an official Persian Dragonscale sheet pattern/weave: my idea of expanding on the current chain pattern/weave, or as an alternative, use a traditional Persian sheet pattern/weave (that's a reference to my 1st paragraph).

TourmalineTerror95

I checked the link, but the Alligator River sheet pattern/weave isn't what I was after. As for what you aren't understanding, I'm trying to say that if creating a Persian Dragonscale sheet pattern/weave from a chain of this Persian Dragonscale pattern/weave couldn't be achieved, could it be achieved by using a traditional Persian sheet pattern/weave (as in a type of Half Persian or Full Persian sheet).

TourmalineTerror95

That's unfortunate, coz having a sheet version of Persian Dragonscale would be cool, like how there's European & Japanese styles of Dragonscale sheet patterns/weaves. Thanks for the help & info about this chain pattern/weave. Interestingly, thanks to that link in your previous post, you helped answer another question on my mind: whether you can make a 6 in 1 version of the normal Dragonscale & Wyvernscale sheet patterns/weaves - turns out you can! (it's called Wyrmscale - something I woulda called it). I've tried making a 6 in 1 version of Interwoven EU Dragonscale sheet pattern/weave, but it was too tight, as in the sample piece I made had very little flexibility; could that be attributed to the AR, the ring size, the pattern/weave, or a combination of said factors?

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
The similarities are in name only.

Interwoven dragonscale 6-1 would require an AR around 10 to be sure to make it work, if known AR data is good.