Preparing a rotary tumbler for first use

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester
Advertisement
Is there anything special that needs to be done? Should it be run for a few hours with some soap and water to clean out the barrel before first use? Does anyone have any hints or tips?

TIA

chris

When i first got my rotary tumbler i took a rag of rubbing alcohol to it to just remove anything that was built up from when it was made.

Lassarina

I'm interested in buying a tumbler but I live in a small apartment and I have heard they are extremely loud.

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester
I don't know about "extremely loud", but loud is kinda relative unless you're talking about measuring with a decibel meter. ;) I would probably say on par with a washing machine. For me it kind of dwindles into a background hum. YMMV. :)

madd_vyking

I have a DuraBull, with clear plastic barrels...and I love it...but it is loud, no getting around it. Probably no good for an apartment. Rubber lined barrels are quieter.

Sapphire

Yes, I would just tumble water and soap. To be safe, you could also tumble your shot with soap and water before using it with chain maille.

Anne VanLoon

I highly recommend getting some Sunsheen cleaner for your shot and barrel. It's counter intuitive that soap and water could leave your shot dirty, but there is a definite buildup! I nearly ruined a lot of my copper projects before I figured out to tumble my pieces with the Sunsheen. I had to ask the FB group for help in figuring out the problem-which was either the barrel itself or a PH issue. Either was the Sunsheen fixed it and it also cleans my shot while it works, which means one less step later!