Supply Storage

Scott Robertson

Y'all are too OCD for me. I just have zip-lock bags in a bin. One for Stainless rings and the other for Aluminum and Bronze. All... um, most have the material, gauge, ID and AR (in big sharpie) so I can sort and grab as needed for the project of the moment.

ShadowBox_Studios

I've been using Bead Storage Solution Trays for the majority of my supplies, and then I have a Photo Keeper that Daniel H. posted for bulk supplies and another for projects.

Sharyn Hamilton

Established Member
Established Member
I used to use those clear, divided boxes with 24 compartments and a single, hinged lid, until the day my cat knocked one off the table and, with a shared lid, everything spilled everywhere. So I decided I wanted individual storage containers, each with its own lid, stored in another box. I settled on the ones below. They're clear, they hold a decent amount, stack well, and I can fit two stacks one in front of the other in my hutch. Best off all, I dropped an entire box filled with copper rings yesterday. Yes, the main lid came off, and the containers rolled around, but all the individual containers stayed covered, so I just had to pick up 12 containers instead of picking up and resorting 1000s of rings. I get them at Michael's, and a few at JoAnn's. I thought they were the same manufacturer, but the one's from JoAnn's don't screw shut as smoothly -- I need to rub graphite on the threads (AKA run a pencil around them) to get them to close more smoothly.

storage.jpg

Mlouzzz

Those dot-boxes look great! I'm gonna look for them. Right now I have an unorganized mess... some boxes wit a lot of gripbags. Hard to find the right rings.

Jamie

Thank you for all the great storage ideas. I currently use a tool box with multiple storage containers, but I'm outgrowing it and needed other ideas.

Frann

Established Member
Established Member
My apprentice bought me an empty Large Dot box from C&T. While I like the box. I'm wishing they had more larger inner containers. I bought the last of the largest ones from C&T as I think they are discontinuing carrying them. The manufacturer Cottage Mills sells them separately and Amazon sells 'kits' of particular sizes. I think I'll invest in a small or medium carrier and custom fit inner containers for small projects, repairs and just travelling. I was using baggies and misc. containers with a Thirty one bag I got for Christmas, but that's very cumbersome. I like being able to open a case and have everything labeled.

Jo Mayer

I go back and forth on storage containers. Right now I am using the storage bins that one might use for nuts and bolts, but I also have small jars and plastic tubs. I don't have a lot of any one sized ring so everything is still rather small.

Nologic

I often use small zip lock baggies marked with sharpie. The they are tossed into a plastic box of the same gauge.

Daniel H.

Established Member
Established Member
I had someone recommend using urine specimen cups and after hearing that I thought it was brilliant. I may have to try this.

Katie

I've been using little snap lock bins from Jo-anns. They have pretty small, all the way up to fairly large. They are mostly meant for office/kid things. (one bin is called crayon size) I started with buying just the little ones, and am often buying the larger ones now. :) They are also almost always half off.

Anne VanLoon

I'm using labeled tic tac boxes in a type setter's tray for rings and the Plano tackle boxes for beads and findings. I like the way the boxes stack up and the visibility. Plus the price doesn't feel like it hurts when I still get to have the candy!

Judy

I mostly use small zipper bags (like ziplocks only smaller), because they are cheap and easy to store. They do have a tendency to be a pain to organize, tho! What I have started doing lately that I am really obsessed with is finding clear cosmetic bags to put groups of the little baggies in. http://smile.amazon.com/City-Lights...439753016&sr=8-12&keywords=clear+cosmetic+bag are probably my favorite size so far. I have a gob of them and I sort rings into the clear bags by size. The colors are all sorted into their own zippy bags.

Traceybell

For those that store rings in ziplock bags, I took a class with Marilyn Gardiner last year and she had a tip to use the thin metal locking shower curtain rings like these. You punch a hole in the top of the bags and hang all the ones of the same wire gauge on one hook, so all your 18g on one (or more) hook, 20g on another hook. You could try to organize them by ring diameter also.
shower curtain hook.jpg

Theresa

Y'all are too OCD for me. I just have zip-lock bags in a bin. One for Stainless rings and the other for Aluminum and Bronze. All... um, most have the material, gauge, ID and AR (in big sharpie) so I can sort and grab as needed for the project of the moment.
Right now I'm the same. Got some cool containers that lock and have handles to keep the baggies in. We've moved around so much over the years I'm just happy to find anything. I do have a Craftmates for my beads.

Sharyn Hamilton

Established Member
Established Member
Advertisement
I just bought a bunch of "really useful boxes" on clearance from Office Depot. I can't wait to use them.

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester
Sharyn Hamilton Sharyn Hamilton , were all sizes on clearance or just the small .14L ones? I picked up a bunch of those (the .14L) myself for .75 a piece at Office Max (same company as Office Depot). Staples has a really nice looking "smoke" color that I can't find anywhere else, not even on the manufacturers website, or staples.com. Seems like they're only in store :(