Titanium welded rings?

steampunkgarage

Established Member
Beta Tester
Vendor
I've found a vendor willing to make welded rings out of titanium. Most welded steel rings cost between $1-$4 depending on the thickness of the wire and the ID of the ring. The titanium would run anywhere from $15-$20 per ring. BUT they would be 40% lighter than the steel welded rings people use now for most pendant projects. This will make a HUGE difference in the final weight! ...especially in regards to turbines. Turbines made in copper and bronze with the steel welded rings are on the hefty size. If you still bind it with steel rings, this would decrease the weight by 25-30% overall. And think of all the cool earrings you could make with big weightless hoops!

Also, consider the current BDSM market. Right now everyone leans toward solid stainless because of how sturdy it is. Welded aluminum "o" rings don't exist because they would just bend and warp under minimal stress. So it's stainless or nothing. Titanium "o" rings would finally give your BDSM customers the option of having more lightweight gear. Is there any interest in this? I would have to place a minimum order of almost $2,000 so I really want to get some feedback.

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester
It's a great idea and I can see lots of uses for them but I'm not sure if, in my limited opinion, titanium has the potential upchargeability (is that a word?). I know that when I think of expensive jewelry, my mind goes to gold or sterling or argentium, not titanium. I've seen some really cool keychains made with titanium, but when I saw the price it was more like "it's nice, but not that nice" (not chainmaille btw).

It's also a matter of "Is having this piece of jewelry a couple grams lighter worth the price difference between something that looks exactly the same but weighs a little more?" I mean we're not talking pounds here. Most stainless pieces aren't causing undue stress on your neck. If I were selling, I'd worry that it wouldn't be more than a "niche" selling point, that most people wouldn't care.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't to say that I'm not interested, I am, but I'm not sure that I could justify purchasing many of them.

In this situation, I'd also be wary of "the internet effect". Lots of people may be interested, but when it comes time to pull out the wallets....

steampunkgarage

Established Member
Beta Tester
Vendor
This is probably worth taking pre-orders or busting out a Kickstarter to raise he funds then.

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester
IMO that would be a very good idea. If you don't get enough, then people get their money back. If you do get enough, then the people that really want them will have put their money where their mouths are. :)

Ginger Garnitz

Beta Tester
a couple of grams lighter and hypo-allergenic plus great anodized colors is a sales point for jewelry. Even as a core ring, the glints of ano Ti colors peeks through a weave to give the piece a unique Aura. Sometimes all it takes is some stunning sample pieces to capture the interest and $$ of the consumer.

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester
She's actually selling a few of the sample ones (I think) right now. Check the classifieds, she has a post in there. :)