Before They Were Weaves - An Introduction to Precursors

Before They Were Weaves - An Introduction to Precursors

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
chainmaillers.com submitted a new resource:

Before They Were Weaves - An Introduction to Precursors - Common Forms Visible In Chainmaille

What are Precursors?

View attachment 5581 (fig. 1 - Precursor Category Examples)

While looking through hundreds of weaves for entry into the Maillepedia, an observation was made that there were certain common repeating ring formations. Those common ring formations are what we are calling precursors. Precursors are a new concept (at least to...​

Read more about this resource...

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
I miss half persian 2 in 1 in the chain precursor. That what was inspired me to "nest" it.

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
I honestly forgot why I didn't list HP 2 in 1 as a precursor as it definitely can be considered one. Only thing I can think of is that it's merely a "squished" (contracted) 2 in 1 chain.

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Advertisement
I honestly forgot why I didn't list HP 2 in 1 as a precursor as it definitely can be considered one. Only thing I can think of is that it's merely a "squished" (contracted) 2 in 1 chain.
the problem is that all versions are like that. E is just offset. Spiral is just twisted. J is just nailed down.

I read this article thinking first that you meant the same as what I regard as "Protoweaves", but apparently, my "Proto" concept is wider in scope.

The weaves I submitted, GBTG, GBT41 came from realisations using the protoweave concept, as well as FBTG. FBT41 uses two stable chains connected in an euro fashion - and that's why I realised when trying pilus that GB can be reduced in theory to an unstable chain if "halved" - which stabilizes as pilus. this Protopilus connects in the same way to a mirrored protopilus to create GB as B^ chains create byzee bees to butterflies. Using this - GBT41 just fell out of the math. Applying Beez stew to it's fullest extent gave the TG weaves, as that as well just "fell out of the math.

However, B^has the ring pairs parallel and not offset, making a Flagellum B^ and pilus B^ impossible.

Spoilers for the readers - I have already submitted weaves to scott that falls out of the same math. When they are published, I will post directions for two more weaves that I managed to create - where scott and I need help with figuring out at what AR they are feasible.

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
Precursors are not weaves and were never meant to be. They are merely descriptors of forms that can be found in weaves. Half of them (unconnected precursors) don't have any connections and are basically just rings placed in a pattern.

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Indeed - And what I call Protoweaves are complex elements found in several different weaves which is inherently unstable on it's own - Such as the common ellement between pilus, flagellum, GB, GB4-1T and GBGT - a "HalfHoodo Chain with connectors sticking out" - Crossed with eachother in pilus and flagellum - connected to the other side with the GB triplets.