Resource icon

European 4 in 1 Seams: 15, 30, 45, and 60 Degree

Joshua Diliberto

Beta Tester
Vendor
Joshua Diliberto submitted a new resource:

European 4 in 1 Seams: 15, 30, 45, and 60 Degree - Pics and descriptions of European 4 in 1 seams

There has always been a lot of confusion in the chainmaille community regarding the angle of degree in European 4 in 1 seams. This year (2015), I set out to study the possible angles and the actual measured degrees of those angles. What I found may be somewhat surprising to most chainmaillers. Most chainmaillers know about the 60 degree angle seam (some calling it a 45 degree seam), but not many knew about the 30 and 15 degree seams. And the most interesting thing I discovered was how to...

Read more about this resource...

Moni

Established Member
Beta Tester
Established Member
Looking forward to reading through this. I plan on making a few shirts and other items this year. One of the pics looks on the bias. I'm curious about how to do this. (Especially with Dragonscale, which I know is a different topic all together.)

jvbs

I've just learned Euro 4 in 1, so I wasn't aware of the issues with joining, but now I am thinking of what I can make .....

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Coming back to this topic - The base theory behind seems to land in that European 4-1 unbalanced gives a half-hexagon shape to the rings, summing their offset to 60.
From that, it's simple math. - Remove one of the sides of the E4-1U and you get a right angle as usual from one direction and a quarter of a hexagon from the other, giving you a 30 degree angle. Do a 2-to-1 contraction every other row and you get 15 degrees. Every third and you get 10.

For angles above 60, the math is much less natural - but in principle, the more rings on the bottom - the further out you are grabbing - the sharper the turn - for a 180 degree seam when you are so far removed from the seampoint it tends to infinity.