Expanding my ring collection. Help?

OShiADragon

Hiya.

So I've been conventioning for 5 years give or take. 99% of what I make is in BA and AA, 16g 1/4 or 16g 5/16.
I'd like to expand my stock so I can experiment and work on new ideas. I'm just wondering what some of the more popular ring sizes are. What has good utility? What do people like working with?

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester
Are you looking for thinner or thicker rings? One of the first sizes that I bought large quantities of are 18 swg 3/16". Great all around size for a number of weaves

OShiADragon

Probably more thinner than thicker, there seems to be such a great variationI just am not sure where to start expanding ^^

ShadowBox_Studios

Advertisement
I use a lot of the following (all 18g)
1/8"
5/32"
3/16"
9/32"
Once in a while I use 1/4"

OShiADragon

I use a lot of the following (all 18g)
1/8"
5/32"
3/16"
9/32"
Once in a while I use 1/4"

That looks like a pretty nice list. I really wish I could just buy all the rings and go mad scientist on it all. But alas, budeting.
So far I'm fairly limited in my waves. Euro 4in1 and half persian 3in1 are my mainstays. Byz and box are about it otherwise.
(also eeee ducks!)

ShadowBox_Studios

That looks like a pretty nice list. I really wish I could just buy all the rings and go mad scientist on it all. But alas, budeting.
So far I'm fairly limited in my waves. Euro 4in1 and half persian 3in1 are my mainstays. Byz and box are about it otherwise.
(also eeee ducks!)
If those are the weaves you do most, and you're on a budget go with 5/32" (Euro 4-1 & Byz) and 3/16" (Euro 4-1 & Box). If you still have money left to get another size go with 9/32", and you'll be able to do Helm with both 5/32" & 3/16" for the small rings. Plus then you should be able to do most Helm variations

That's one of the ducks on my family's farm. My dad decided to get a pair of ducklings earlier this year when my mom and him went to pick up some chicks, lol.

Melody

Established Member
Beta Tester
Contributing Member
18 1/4 SWG is a favorite. You can do a lot of things with it. 18 5/32 SWG and 18 3/16 SWG is also good to have around. 18 7/32 SWG is my fav for candy cane cord.

I use 16 SWG 1/4 in BA a lot too. Makes for a nice 4-in-1.

Traceybell

A couple of places that I've bought from have sample packs of either copper or other base metals. You might start with those to get a limited amount of popular ring sizes to play around with before investing in large quantities of other sizes. Chainweavers and C & T both have sample packs.

Lunautumn

I am definitely a fan of AA in 18ga 5/32" swg. I have found BBB and TRL rings to be pretty compatible in this size, so my color choices are doubled.

Also, are you interested in any particular weaves? I sometimes go to mailleartisans.org and search by AR, and if I see something I want to try, I will stock up on compatible rings.