RPI - Rings per Inch (yes, US here, lol)

Loctite

Has anyone ever started a rings per inch chart or is it just me? I'm new to mail (started in December 2020) and I am finding that between my OCD and age it has led me to writing things down. Since I am new to mail and wanting to sell my items, but not wanting to have a large amount of projects and inventory sitting around, I've been making sample weaves to show clients and then writing down how many rings at what gauge and size it will take for a simple project. Example: since I ride a motorcycle most of my clients thus far have been buying wallet chains which I make at 18" and I have been using 16g @ 5/16 or 1/4 depending on the weave and affect they desire. Since I don't have the resources just starting out and they want something in a color I don't have in stock, I can give them an estimate of the cost by referring to my handy dandy RPI chart... yea... live in my head for a day... LOL

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester
I always start to keep track, but then I get sucked into my work and forget to write anything down. I know that TRL has a bunch of graphics that show weaves and RPI for different ring sizes for them. If you or anyone else have any RPI data, please feel free to post it. Once we have some data, a resource page can be created that everyone will be able to access and can be constantly updated with new data. We can use this thread for data collection and further input.

Loctite

Awesome!! Please check this to insure accuracy!
Here is what I have so far (with the weaves I'm asked to make most often. (Wallet chains, get back whips, key chains, chunky items)

Euro 4/1
16g 1/4 = 9

Spiral 2/2
16g 5/16 = 14 (actually 1.25 inch)
18g 1/4 = 14 (actual 1 inch)

Box
16g 1/4 = 20

Full Persian
16g 5/16 = 16
18g 1/4 = 20

Half (3/1)
16g 5/16 = 6 (little less than an inch)

Inverted round
16g 1/4 = 15

Bobbie

Established Member
Established Member
Awesome!! Please check this to insure accuracy!
Here is what I have so far (with the weaves I'm asked to make most often. (Wallet chains, get back whips, key chains, chunky items)

Euro 4/1
16g 1/4 = 9

Spiral 2/2
16g 5/16 = 14 (actually 1.25 inch)
18g 1/4 = 14 (actual 1 inch)

Box
16g 1/4 = 20

Full Persian
16g 5/16 = 16
18g 1/4 = 20

Half (3/1)
16g 5/16 = 6 (little less than an inch)

Inverted round
16g 1/4 = 15
Thank you so much for that information, I will try to remember the next time I do a weave to do the same so I can add to this post or your information.

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
Was actually thinking about this. While this thread is a great idea, it should probably only be used for weaves that are not currently in our Maillepedia. Each item in the Maillepedia has an associated discussion thread specifically for that item. Those threads would be the best place for specific ring information, per weave, to be placed.

Please make sure, if posting ring sizes, that you also include as much ring information as possible:
  • AWG or SWG
  • Wire Diameter
  • Inner Diameter
  • Actual Ring AR
The discussion page for each weave can be reached from the item page by clicking on the 'Discussion' tab or clicking the 'Join discussion' button.

1615316167384.png

(click photo to enlarge)

Htaverna

There are so many weaves, that I would find it beneficial to have a list of weaves, with the ARs required and possibly ring sizes and wire gauges ...nice to have the RPI, but this is something I have thought about doing myself...just never have the time to tackle

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
There are so many weaves, that I would find it beneficial to have a list of weaves, with the ARs required and possibly ring sizes and wire gauges ...nice to have the RPI, but this is something I have thought about doing myself...just never have the time to tackle
Items in the Maillepedia all have ARs listed. If you scroll over (or click on) the AR, it shows you a list of ring sizes that have that "Calculated AR". Calculated AR does NOT take into account things like springback or other variables that affect the 'Actual AR' of rings. (it would be almost impossible to account for all potential variables).

There is a "How To" on viewing or giving ring sizes in our "using the site" forum.

Sabin

I'm lazy. I just keep a ruler handy and measure as I go along. In my experience, no two weaves will occupy the same space.

Reverend Fawkes

Honestly, I'm in the same boat. My OCD caused me to build a private website from scratch to hold all of my charts, inventory, notes, and everything else. :D

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member
I have thought about this as well. I was wondering if there was a good way to store/estimate this data for weaves. I would appreciate input from others but if the rings per Weave Cell and the length per Weave cell are known(for at least one instance) then it should be possible to calculate things like actual possible lengths, rings per length(both metric and imperial). Though this might be overkill.