Working with 304 Stainless steel.

RingOfLight

I recently obtained some 304 grade 1.63mm Stainless steel wire. I have rolled some coils but don't know the best way to cut them into jump rings. Can anyone here with experience please give some tips? I have a dremel if that is an option.

Thanks.

Slibby Fryer

I recently obtained some 304 grade 1.63mm Stainless steel wire. I have rolled some coils but don't know the best way to cut them into jump rings. Can anyone here with experience please give some tips? I have a dremel if that is an option.

Thanks.
Hey there the best way to cut it is using a Ringinator, or something similar. Ideally you really need to cut it wet... plenty of coolant but I'm guessing you haven't got access to that. The only way other than using a junior hacksaw with a bi metal blade, cutting on the mandrel you used to wind them on, it's slow going and will give you burrs. With regards to the dremel I would look at the "speed clik" cut off wheels, they worked best when I was cutting my galvy rings. Wear a mask, keep the revs quite slow. That's my best advice.... it will be a bit of trial and error to start with, but you will need to tumble the rings after. Hope this helps 😚
Slibby

Cinnibar

Slibby's initial comment covers the best advice if you've got long term plans of cutting lots of rings with very high quality: The Ringinator. It's the best of the premade cutting tools out there, but it is a sizable initial investment, and consumables beyond that will be expensive over time, but result in the highest quality saw cuts.

If you don't have $500-600 to throw around on a Ringinator, the consumables, and the right drill to power the ring, handcutting with a bimetal blade (use beeswax or similar cutting lubricant!) is the only other way to approach similar quality. Dremel cutoff wheels remove too much material, are messy, and distintigrate after only a handful of rings, making it more expensive in consumables than the Ringinator by FAR.

Other handcutting options include various forms of bolt cutters (Knipex Cobolts being the best of the bunch), shear cutters (few will survive 1.6mm stainless), and techniques to improve the resulting quality, such as score-and-break, which is exactly what it sounds like. You score the rings by creating an initial divot or depression in the top and the bottom of the wire, and then grab the ring and lever it off the coil until it breaks cleanly at the score line, one ring at a time. It's faster than handcutting with a saw, but the rings are less "perfect", although quite adequate for armor.

RingOfLight

Advertisement
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I will look into the "speed clik" cut off wheels. I have started to build a rig like the one in this video with my dremel but need a decent blade.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.