Hi, I’m Kathy from Wicked Lady Chains.
Today I’m going to show you how to make European 4 in 1 Chainmaille.
The following ring sizes work well with this particular chain, but don’t be afraid to experiment, it will become clear soon after starting whether or not you are going to be happy with the results.
There are two main points to remember with this particular weave,
- As its name implies; every ring will go through 4 others (European 4 in 1)
- Keep a check on ring orientation (are the rings pointing the correct way before you add the next set of rings)
- 14g 1/4 - Aspect Ratio 3.9
- 16g 13/64 - Aspect Ratio 4
- 18g 5/32 - Aspect Ratio 3.88
- 20g 1/8 - Aspect Ratio 3.91
- 22g 3/32 - Aspect Ratio 3.71
- 24g 5/64 - Aspect Ratio 3.89
- 14g 5/16 - Aspect Ratio 3.91
- 16g 1/4 - Aspect Ratio 3.91
- 18g 3/16 - Aspect Ratio 3.91
- 20g 5/32 - Aspect Ratio 4.34
- 22g 1/8 - Aspect Ratio 4.46
- 24g 3/32 - Aspect Ratio 4.26
I have gone down as far as AR 3 myself with no issues, though it does become very difficult the smaller the AR. At the very minimum of AR 2.83, you are basically going to be making sculpture rather than a flexible chain (good for basketry, not so much for jewellery).
To learn more about this weave and how you can manipulate it, take a look here: