Back to Work Band(Potential New Weave)

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member
Does the updated version in these images look closer to meeting the definition of a band form for the back to work weave?

Attachments

• flat.jpg
    flat.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 48
  • profile.jpg
    profile.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 54

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
Advertisement
Yes, although this could be considered 2 things, a sheet patch or an unterminated band. Back to work is, in its base form, a terminated band to begin with. Three more rings continuing the pattern at the bottom of that would make it a terminated band.

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Yes, although this could be considered 2 things, a sheet patch or an unterminated band. Back to work is, in its base form, a terminated band to begin with. Three more rings continuing the pattern at the bottom of that would make it a terminated band.
I would disagree, unless you have a very loose definition of band.

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
As far as I'm concerned (and therefore CCT), the simplest form of unterminated band is "European 2 in 1".

Edited to add: moaatt moaatt I should also add, (thanks Karpeth Karpeth ;) ) what you have in the picture would be a weave patch, it would need to either be extended further and/or expanded further to actually "become" a band.

2-in-1-european-jpg.3894

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
For me, the terms are as follows;

Unit: a pattern that does not infinitely repeat in any dimension.

Chain: a pattern that infinite repeats in 1 dimension.

Tube: a chain or band pattern, where if rings were abstracted covering the plane, has a Hole in the same Directions it infinitely repeats in.

Band: a pattern that is only infinitely repeatable in 1 dimension, but is not trivialy reducible to a 1-dimensional object.

Sheet: a pattern that is infinitely repeatble in 2 dimensions.

”3d” a pattern that is infinitely repeatble in 3 dimensions.

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member
I did originally create this with the idea of being a sheet. Would the most recent version be considered a sufficient example to be recorded as sheet version of the back to work weave?

Karpeth Karpeth I am curious to know how you would classify this based on how you defined your terms. If you could give me your view on it I would appreciate that.

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
I did originally create this with the idea of being a sheet. Would the most recent version be considered a sufficient example to be recorded as sheet version of the back to work weave?

Karpeth Karpeth I am curious to know how you would classify this based on how you defined your terms. If you could give me your view on it I would appreciate that.
It’s a sheet.