Dolphin Inspired Potential New Weave

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member
Hello everyone. I was recently trying to make Dolphin and I made a mistake. From what I can tell my primary mistake was that I neglected to have the horizontal rings between each pair of vertical rings causing each pair of vertical rings to have two vertical rings around the eye go through them. I was wondering if this is already classified as a weave or if I have stumbled upon a new weave.

Attachments

• flat.jpg
    flat.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 44
  • flat_profile.jpg
    flat_profile.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • vertical.jpg
    vertical.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
  • vertical_profile.jpg
    vertical_profile.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 40

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
This definitely has the potential to be something different, it is NOT the same as dolphin

1700349161419.png

Looking at the maillesplosion, a weave cell of dolphin is 8 rings. What you made is only 5 rings per weave cell. The rings marked with yellow/orange (whatever that color is ;) ) are not present in your picture. Now, as to whether this is new is another story, It would at the very least have to be checked against any "rhino" weaves, as well as ZiLi's (may he rest in peace) many rover variations.

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member
Thank you for the feed back, I am curious as to how long the process would take to compare the weave I made to the rhino weaves and rover variants. Additionally please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist.

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
You're quite welcome :D As for how long the process will take, I can't give you a concrete answer. Rhino/Rover weaves are a rabbit hole that I haven't done more than dipped a toe in. I can confidently say that the weave pictured above is definitely related to Rover and/or Kora Twisted. Can I ask what AR rings you used?

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
maybe I’m blind, but what is the difference from Rover?
First of all, I want to note that I had to turn the render over for Rover in this screenshot so it will match the orientation of the weave in moaatt moaatt 's photo.

1700518720915.png

It looks like the purple rings are connecting to the cyan ring differently which forces the reinforced (cyan) and the red rings to turn at a greater angle.

Base Cell, Rover Cell, Moaatt Cell: (AR 5.5 for both)
1700520999157.png

Rover (Top), Moaatt (Bottom)
1700521539186.png

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member
You're quite welcome :D As for how long the process will take, I can't give you a concrete answer. Rhino/Rover weaves are a rabbit hole that I haven't done more than dipped a toe in. I can confidently say that the weave pictured above is definitely related to Rover and/or Kora Twisted. Can I ask what AR rings you used?
Thank you, I just did a quick look at M.A.I.L. and there appear to be 89 weaves tagged with Rhino so I can see how it would take a while. The AR of the rings I used to make it in the image was approximately 4.3(16 SWG wire on a 7mm mandrel).

Also looking at what I made and rover they do seem to be closely related.

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you, I just did a quick look at M.A.I.L. and there appear to be 89 weaves tagged with Rhino so I can see how it would take a while. The AR of the rings I used to make it in the image was approximately 4.3(16 SWG wire on a 7mm mandrel).

Also looking at what I made and rover they do seem to be closely related.
The difference is perhaps better seen at a different angle and without the blue rings (since they have the same connections in both). :D Look at the positioning of the purple rings; rover on top, yours on the bottom.

1700528310947.png

The difference between the two is how the purple rings go through the cyan rings. :)

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
So this is basically a reversed rover? Then I know what to look for at MAIL.

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Huh.
If you remove Purple middle and yellow middle, you are att this new, tho?

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
Do you mean blue middle and yellow middle?

Either way (purple, yellow or blue, yellow) it's not the same because the yellows only go through 2 reds. Blue and purple go through 4

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Do you mean blue middle and yellow middle?

Either way (purple, yellow or blue, yellow) it's not the same because the yellows only go through 2 reds. Blue and purple go through 4
I See.

Then MAIL should be seen as combed.

That was the closest thing on MAIL.

moaatt

Established Member
Established Member
The difference is perhaps better seen at a different angle and without the blue rings (since they have the same connections in both). :D Look at the positioning of the purple rings; rover on top, yours on the bottom.

View attachment 7472

The difference between the two is how the purple rings go through the cyan rings. :)
Thank you, this does make the difference quite clear.

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member

Karpeth

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
There are 4 major repositories of weaves that I know of, The Maillepedia, MAIL (Maille Artisans), Chainmailbasket, and Tome of Weaves. I use all 3 of the others for research. The only reason I don't cite CMB (chainmailbasket) is because it's one big list without any easy way to link directly to a specific weave.
These are the ones that ”have survived”.

There have been several over the years - but MAIL has always been at the center.

All others, such ass MWW or CGM are no longer avaliable and were always a subset of other repositries.