Kudzu weave

Tahra

I just bought Ti to do a Kudzu bracelet. Now I have to figure out how to do Kudzu lol I see the Byz and the barrel weave and looked up Rhino snorting but still new enough to Chainmaille that I have to put it all together. Any idea who did it originally? I would love to buy a tutorial. It’s all the same size rings. I think I got 16SWG 9/32

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester
Advertisement
If you've put together a few byzantine and barrel units, you should be able to put kudzu together as it uses techniques from both weaves.

Here's a very basic tutorial. 😆 (BTW, you can click on the images to see them full size.)

18SWG 7/32" Bright Aluminum

1. Create a 2-2-2 chain
    20210228_190051.jpg
  2. 'Rhino' (Perpendicular ring coming up through 1 ring and down through the other) the rings on the right. Pay attention to which ring of the pair is on the top (upper ring or lower ring). You're going to want to do it the same way for each set of 'Rhino' rings
    20210228_190219.jpg
  3. Add a second 'Rhino' ring
    20210228_190256.jpg
  4. Take 2 closed rings on one open ring and put it through the eye on the right side of the 'rhino' rings.
    20210228_190352.jpg
  5. Put a second ring through the 2 closed rings and through the eye on the right side of the 'rhino' rings.
    20210228_190425.jpg
  6. Fold the right pair of rings so that they are leaning towards the 'rhino' rings.
    20210228_190505.jpg
  7. Put a ring (parallel) between the rings that are now the furthest right and through the 2 rings that you folded back.
    20210228_191834.jpg
  8. Put a second ring through the same spot as in #7.
    20210228_191909.jpg
  9. Repeat steps 2 - 8 till you reach the length you require.
    20210228_194529.jpg
Hope that helps. :)

Tahra

If you've put together a few byzantine and barrel units, you should be able to put kudzu together as it uses techniques from both weaves.

Here's a very basic tutorial. 😆

1. Create a 2-2-2 chain
    View attachment 3459
  2. 'Rhino' (Perpendicular ring coming up through 1 ring and down through the other) the rings on the right. Pay attention to which ring of the pair is on the top (upper ring or lower ring). You're going to want to do it the same way for each set of 'Rhino' rings
    View attachment 3460
  3. Add a second 'Rhino' ring
    View attachment 3461
  4. Take 2 closed rings on one open ring and put it through the eye on the right side of the 'rhino' rings.
    View attachment 3462
  5. Put a second ring through the 2 closed rings and through the eye on the right side of the 'rhino' rings.
    View attachment 3463
  6. Fold the right pair of rings so that they are leaning towards the 'rhino' rings.
    View attachment 3464
  7. Put a ring (parallel) between the rings that are now the furthest right and through the 2 rings that you folded back.
    View attachment 3465
  8. Put a second ring through the same spot as in #7.
    View attachment 3466
  9. Repeat steps 2 - 8 till you reach the length you require.
    View attachment 3467
Hope that helps. :)
I can’t thank you enough!! That was the nicest thing and as soon as I complete the project I will post a pic. Blessings Scott!

Tahra

I can’t thank you enough!! That was the nicest thing and as soon as I complete the project I will post a pic. Blessings Scott!
Ok well I’m trying to learn the site as I just joined. So Scott sent me a regular email. And Mr Deranged responded on the site. So Im
gonna play it safe and thank everyone out there that empowers others. One day I promise, I will be the one helping a new mailler. You guys rock!

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester
LOL, "Chainmaillers.com" is the account used for "Official" website business. "MrDeranged" is my personal account :) They're both me though :) Thank you for the kind words. The best thing anyone can do is pay it forward. :D

Bobbie

Established Member
Established Member
Can this be done with 18g 5/32, I think that is the size, I use for barrel? I know I can do byzantine with that size?

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester
18g 5/32 is probably going to be on the very tight side if it's even possible. I used BA 18g 7/32 for the tutorial which has a Calculated AR of 4.55. The actual AR is probably a little higher than that due to spring back. You can't really use barrel sizes because a total of 4 rings (2 rings from each byzantine cage) will be going through the eye of the rhino (unlike in barrels where 2 rings total go through the rhino eye (1 on each side). Hope that makes sense.

Tahra

LOL, "Chainmaillers.com" is the account used for "Official" website business. "MrDeranged" is my personal account :) They're both me though :) Thank you for the kind words. The best thing anyone can do is pay it forward. :D
Oh that is so funny!! Well I can tell I’m gonna have a lot of fun and do a bunch of learning here!! I will try to get some new maillers to join. Going to practice tonight on Kudzu with your great directions. I can do almost anything with directions. Lol

Bobbie

Established Member
Established Member
Thank you Scott so much for a new weave. I tried it with 18g SWG 5/32 will not work, tried it with 18g SWG 3/16 will not work. Turns out great with 18g SWG 7/32.
Here is what I made this evening, had to play with it to finish it, I like it to be symmetrical. Thank you for a greaT tutorial!

Attachments

• kudzu.jpg
    kudzu.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 110

Tahra

18g 5/32 is probably going to be on the very tight side if it's even possible. I used BA 18g 7/32 for the tutorial which has a Calculated AR of 4.55. The actual AR is probably a little higher than that due to spring back. You can't really use barrel sizes because a total of 4 rings (2 rings from each byzantine cage) will be going through the eye of the rhino (unlike in barrels where 2 rings total go through the rhino eye (1 on each side). Hope that makes sense.
hello Mr. Deranged,
it is a joyful day thank you so much. Here are the pics I promised to post. The black glass titanium
is from Eric Whitney. It is titanium 2 16 SWG 9/32
with an AR of 4.85. definitely a man’s bracelet! I think I used about 150 to 160 rings all in the same size. As far as paying it forward I have decided If I can get permission I will do a free tutorial for beginners like myself that just need a little help and guidance. It was so much fun making this bracelet and my confidence level has improved considerably. Blessings to you and yours!!

Attachments

• 15E78448-E741-49A7-9781-95923585C765.jpeg
    15E78448-E741-49A7-9781-95923585C765.jpeg
    711.7 KB · Views: 105
  • AE92A3BC-A70F-4EB0-8793-0FD30CA7F099.jpeg
    AE92A3BC-A70F-4EB0-8793-0FD30CA7F099.jpeg
    756.1 KB · Views: 100

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester
Glad you had fun making it. :) It's not a weave that I've seen made very often and that's a shame. Thanks for posting pics :D