Piercing Pliers

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester
Has anyone tried them? I picked up a pair recently and in my limited testing, they definitely seemed helpful with minor sixing (when one side of the closure is just a tad higher than the other). Don't know if I would ever use them regularly (the pair I got isn't the most comfortable) but for going over some of those "scratchy" spots to fix them, I can definitely see it. Two notches, one horizontal and one vertical.

pliers closed crop.jpg pliers open crop.jpg

madd_vyking

Never thought to try something like those--they remind me somewhat of gem setting pliers. Were they reasonably priced? (...and where'd you find them?) I'd like to give them a try. I have always used flat nose pliers in my left hand, and bent nose in my right, while holding the ring with the right plier "sideways", and compressing the offensive side with the left plier, then running the plier around the ring to smooth things out. Lately, have been using an inexpensive pair of parallel action pliers in a similar fashion. I like those alot---but, they are much more work to use, because the spring is much heavier.

madd_vyking

Would definitely like to hear more about them once you've used them a bit more.

$15.00 makes them almost worth grabbing just to see for myself, though.

steampunkgarage

Established Member
Beta Tester
Vendor
Well? Do they work with any consistency? It seems like they would be somewhat awkward to use while weaving...

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester
Actually meant to revisit this thread. I was trying it with the "WhatIf". I'm not happy with the consistency or the added time. Maybe it's a matter of getting used to them. It definitely helped with some rings, but it bent a couple out of shape as well. Added a lot of time though as I would have to switch pliers, and then get the ring placed right in the piercing pliers. IMO, the jury is still out. I'd like to hear the experiences of anyone else that tries them.