Ring Sizes

Bryan Szafranski

Beta Tester
I'm trying to find the best ring sizes for both Jap 6 in 2 and Vipera Berus. I know what ARs MAIL suggests, but what sizes have you guys found work best in these two weaves?

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester
I've heard that both swg18g 3/16 and 18g 5/32 are good for VB. I've mostly done KVB and generally use swg 18g 1/4 for it. Haven't done much in the Japanese family so I couldn't tell you about that.

Tomeka Watkinson

I use 18 5/32 for Vipera Berus. Also square 16 1/4 (from TRL) does a very nice VB that works up quickly. I'm currently working on a bracelet with brass 20 7/64 (from Ward's Corner) that progressing nicely thanks to the tutorial posted in this group.

Tomeka Watkinson

Yes, Bryan, I also thought it was too small but I just had to try :) and it's actually not too bad. I'm using small Xuron pliers (475 and 485FN) which make all difference in frustration. It certainly is pretty so it'll be worth the effort.

GordHavoc

I have done some VB, and I tend to use 16SGW with 3/16 ID (coiled my own for this), and it turned out pretty nicely. I have also made a Japanese 12-2 vest with 16 SGW 3/8 larger rings and 1/4 smaller rings. It was in BA and weighs roughly 7 1/2 pounds. I have also made a J4-1 vest with 1/4 rings (still 16 SGW) and a dress (well, a dress covering) of Japanese 3-1 with the same rings.

Beth

Japanese 12-2 looks awesome with 20g 7/64 paired with 18g 5/32 (rings from Hyperlinks). Very delicate in appearance.

MissKitty5077

I haven't tried VB yet but it's on my short list of "new" weaves. It just moved up higher now that I've learned I have lots of rings to do it with. I keep lots of 15 5/32, 16 1/4 and 16 5/16 on hand because they are such useful sizes.

Jo Mayer

I have learned, the hard way, to *always* check the AR your vendor of choice lists for the rings you are buying for a weave. I bought 18 1/4 for KVB and it is *just* a little too tight from one vendor, but fine from another.

Frann

Established Member
Established Member
I've never done kvb.
I have made Jap 12 in 1 with TRL 16 1/4 AA with 18 5.32 connectors and 18 3/16 with 20 1/8 connectors

Tahra

I have learned, the hard way, to *always* check the AR your vendor of choice lists for the rings you are buying for a weave. I bought 18 1/4 for KVB and it is *just* a little too tight from one vendor, but fine from another.
Hi Jo I am sooo glad you said that because I thought I was going crazy. Now it makes perfect sense! thanks