Acceptable Breakage

Peanut

Hello - I’m new to chainmaille and have mostly worked with kits, but recently bought some packages of rings to use on tutorials. Now I need to know - what is an acceptable percentage of breakage for rings? I’ve opened and used 50 rings, 4 of which broke - if it makes a difference, they are 18swg, 5/32”. Any advice would be appreciated. 🌻

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
It really depends on the reason for the breakage. Personally, if it's due to a manufacturers defect, it better be way less than 1%. Rings don't always break due to manufacturers defects though. They can break just as easily from being opened too far or being overworked. I just mention this because you state that you are new to chainmaille and this type of breakage occurs much more often when one is starting their journey, no offense is intended. :)

Peanut

It really depends on the reason for the breakage. Personally, if it's due to a manufacturers defect, it better be way less than 1%. Rings don't always break due to manufacturers defects though. They can break just as easily from being opened too far or being overworked. I just mention this because you state that you are new to chainmaille and this type of breakage occurs much more often when one is starting their journey, no offense is intended. :)
No offence taken, I am fairly new (2 years). I guess I’m more concerned because I didn’t have this problem when I worked various kits - I’ve done at least 12 bracelets in various weaves, 7 or 8 pairs of earrings, with maybe 3 broken rings in the lot. I’m finding it concerning that all the rings I’m having issue with are coming from the same place and in the project I just did, they all came out of the same bag.

chainmaillers.com

Administrator
Staff member
No offence taken, I am fairly new (2 years). I guess I’m more concerned because I didn’t have this problem when I worked various kits - I’ve done at least 12 bracelets in various weaves, 7 or 8 pairs of earrings, with maybe 3 broken rings in the lot. I’m finding it concerning that all the rings I’m having issue with are coming from the same place and in the project I just did, they all came out of the same bag.
I would suggest reaching out to the vendor you purchased from and seeing if they have any suggestions/can do anything.