Who's Behind The Computer?

ShadowBox_Studios

Hello! I'm Nyssa, one of the owners of ShadowBox Studios. My husband and I have been making jewelry since 2007, and established our business in 2008. A few years ago I met a guy at a local show selling maille, and got some information from him but never really ran with it. Then last year I got to talking with one of the owners of HyperLynks about helping me figure out a kit I had purchased the previous year. She had me sit down at Bead Fest, show her what I was doing, and then explained that I was just holding the Byzantine section wrong and showed me how to do it. After that I was hooked! I learned the Stretchy Byzantine at the same show too, but it wasn't until January when I got really sick that I started learning new weaves constantly. In the 3 months I was sick/recovering (flu, then respiratory illness, then bruised ribs from coughing), I learned a ton of weaves. Now I try to stick with learning 2-3 weaves each month.

I currently live in Mifflinburg, PA (small town), but in a couple months my husband, our dog, and I will be moving to my family's farm where I grew up. The farm is only 15 minutes from us, but it seems like it's in the middle of nowhere. One of best things will being close to the mountains, and the view we'll have from the studio.
I like to hike, camp, travel, do photography, and being outside in general. Also love miniature horses, and there are 14 at the farm. I claim one of them as my own, and I will be training Jasper to drive after we move.

5230freckles

Hey!! I'm Lori. :)
I've been doing jewelry for about 11 years, and graduated to chainmaille as well about 2.5 years ago. As I am REALLY fortunate to live about 6 blocks away from Mhai O Mhai Beads, one of the first sellers of Hyperlynks rings and kits, I started with a byzantine kit. I found the instructions to be so clear that I went crazy (as I usually do with a new love) with kits and rings and books from there. I still wear my original BA byzantine bracelet every day.
I work part time for a home goods retailer here in Canada after my retirement in 2009, and part time for a charity based in NC. That keeps me pretty busy, but my jewelry is my first love. I continue to try new weaves and play with familiar ones as often as I can. I also do bead-weaving, and love to alternate projects with each.
My adult son and our black Lab Libby live with me.
I'm also a member of Chain Mail on FB...hey, Steph and Jen! *waves*

5230freckles

Then last year I got to talking with one of the owners of HyperLynks about helping me figure out a kit I had purchased the previous year. She had me sit down at Bead Fest, show her what I was doing, and then explained that I was just holding the Byzantine section wrong and showed me how to do it. After that I was hooked!.

Michelle is fantastic...:). Always helpful.

Arwen Jewell

Hiya! I'm Arwen and am in Scotland. Moved here from Sweden last year, but am originally (long ago) from California. I became instantly obsessed with chain maille about 8 months ago after deciding to get back into making jewellery and try out new techniques. I recognize several of you from the group on fb where I'm blown away by the talent and grooviness of your thingys. I'm a translator, a goofball, and my black lab is spoiled rotten. I haven't found the doohickey to upload a profile pic yet, but I'm sure I'll stumble upon it.

LadyTrucker

Hi All, I'm Wendy. I live in Manitoba Canada. I have been chainmailling for about 3 years now. I started after I bought a celtic pendant from tophatter and thought I can do this myself! So I did! I am married to a wonderful man who is a long haul truck driver, so I have lots of alone time to play with my crafts. I also scrapbook and make cards and altered canvases. I work full time as a custom broker and I am mommy to 3 dogs, 2 indoor cats and 2 outdoor cats.

Papa Bear

Hi all! I've been turning my own rings and making maille for about 20 years now. I started out simply because I wanted a chainmaille hauberk, and was determined (insane enough) that I could make one. After that, I found out I could make jewelry and other things with chainmaille, and I've been doing them all ever since. I still turn most of my rings by myself, but not always. It's great to be a part of such a talented community!

Hi everyone! Kathy Priday of Wicked Lady Chains here. Been chainmailling for a little over a year now and completely and utterly hooked. Always looking for new things to try and new designs to make, thank you for having me :)

Stormy

C'est moi! lol
I'm new to mailing but got hooked real fast. Now I spend all my time and money on rings and maille. :)

jvbs

I'm Beth, been mailleing for about 3 years or so. I'm still working on learning the different weaves. My current nemesis is JPL. I made the unfortunate mistake of learning spiral first, and I think that's the monkey wrench. Looking forward to getting to know people here. Oh, and I found the link through facebook.

Starfyre Creations

I'm Ruth, and have been mailleing for about a year and 3 months... treated myself to a few kits from Beadsisters to start with and have barely put my pliers down since! I've been making jewellery since my teens, and have done silversmithing, beading, wirework, etc. so something of a late start on the chain maille... I love it though. I am starting out selling on stalls at fairs, and have one coming up in a few days - fingers crossed! It's hard to pick a favourite weave, as I change my mind almost on a daily basis - but I do really like Clockwork by Hyperlynks, and am very pleased with the spiky byzantine necklace I made a while back. Next on my learn list - JPL! Wish me luck lol...

karensjewelry

Hey guys and gals! Looking forward to making some new chain maille friends! I have been making jewelry for 8 years now. About 6 years for chain maille. I actually only know a few weaves because I have been too busy to learn more. But my goal this year is to expand my weave knowledge! Looking forward to this new outlet!

Rebeca Mojica

Beta Tester
Hi all - I'm Rebeca - some of you probably know me as "bluebuddha." I've been making maille for 12 years and am fully addicted, beyond help. ;-) When I'm not making maille, I'm probably riding my bike or in the gym (yay! I finally conquered pullups!) or cuddling with my father-daughter set of cats.

Aussie Maille

Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Hi I'm Deb, Owner and slave to Aussie Maille. Been mailling for around 10 years and have finally convinced the hubby to start as well. I live in the Blue Mountains, just west of Sydney Australia. Between running Aussie Maille and looking after our 4 kids I don't have a lot of time left over, but when I do it's usually bushwalking with the camera.

ZiLi

Hi folks - you may know me from MAIL (as ZiLi), or FaceBook (Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker and page 'ZiLi Maille'). If not, you'll know me soon :)
-ZiLi-

Ali

Hi....I'm Allison...I started mailling during my beginning metals class in college back in 2008....where I quickly learned that I detest spinning and cutting my own rings....I used to do beading and wire jewelry bit after a year of beading for a living in a less than great situation the beads have pretty much sat idle for 3 years and have been doing mostly chain maille..I like to incorporate laser cut/etched leather pieces and laser etched cabochons into my work

Marisa

My name is Marisa. I've been making jewelry on and off since my teens, but chainmaille is a more recent (and completely addicting) addition to my repertoire. I'm a freelance proofreader and indexer, and have recently opened up an online store for my jewelry.

Daniel H.

Established Member
Established Member
Hi all. My name is Daniel and I have been making chainmaille off and on for about 2 years. So far I do not sell, I just make and usually give everything away. I love trying anything, especially if it looks tough and people say it shouldn't be easy to do. When I first started I jumped from E4-1 to Dragonscale within a matter of a couple projects and havent looked back since. Lately I have been having fun with JPL and some Rondo a la Byzantine.