Who's Behind The Computer?

ien

Heya,
I'm ien, like ian only spelled more phonetically... at least, it seems that way to me. I've been making maille for about 12 years now, mostly doing odd, quirky little projects with it... and in the past year or so I got into making jewelry. I'm on a bit of a stainless kick at the minute, and I'm working on finally teaching myself some new weaves. I don't sell, really, but mostly make things for barter and gifts.
In my 'real life', I work in theater. I'm a sound designer living in New York City, and for the next year I'm going back to school for awhile in New Haven. I often work on my maille on the subway or at my tech table during a lull.
When I'm not at a theater or glued to my desk in the mild hope that I'll actually get some designing done (I'm an insufferable procrastinator, sometimes... Like now.), I'm hanging out with my two cats Jas and JM, reading and sculpting at home. Sometimes I make puppets... And sometimes I refurbish prop guns with aluminum foil and hotel key cards. 'Cause I don't know about you guys, but I kinda think mailling is part of my secret Macgyver identity.

Sue May

Hi all. I'm Susan, although most people call me Sue. I have 28 years experience working in the Arts and Crafts industry, and as such I have done pretty much all crafts. I got around to actually making things I wanted to do just in the last few years, and last year I started playing with chain maille jewelry. I had to put it aside to work on a large project for my husband for the past few months, but I am planning the projects I want to do. For the past (aprox) 16 years I have been the Moderator on a forum for Professional Picture Framers, and find my self finding a lot of similarities in the different creative industries. I have lots of experience pricing things, and helping people get ready for craft shows... while I have never done one myself. This is what comes from growing up in a family business. I look forward to getting back to making chainmaille, and seeing what everyone else is doing.

Jiyu

Hiyas!

I'm Julie. I've been playing with rings for about 2 years now. I'm still very much a beginner and LOVE learning new weaves! I hope to ogle plenty of pics of everyone's pretties!

Beth

I'm Beth. I live in Courtenay BC, and have been bending rings since November of 2014. I'm a self employed showdog photographer (and, I actually am able to support myself!) but only work from May to October, so am hoping the maille that I make might some day represent some sales.

madd_vyking

Hi y'all... both familiar peeps and new faces... I'm Scott from the Chainmaille page on facebook, and I think I'm madd-vyking or something similar on the TRL forum, M.A.I.L., and Maillers Worldwide, etc... Vyking, because that's been my most recent nickname (for the past couple decades I guess ;-) --and I don't resemble one AT all...), and madd for the MadCity or Madd-town-- Madison, WI. I am owner/artisan of EnVee Jewelry Design, creator of many things maille.

Got into maille around '08 or so...I had an idea to road-warrior up my motorcycle duds with some chainmaille elements, and found out that people were making jewelry from it--so I ordered the Basic Stainless Jewelry Kit from TRL--I think it had rings in 3 sizes--and I was near instantly hooked. A week or so ago I found myself counting my ring sizes (I've no idea why, it just happened---yeah, I'm OCD like that sometimes--don't judge ;-) ), and realized I had over 50 sizes in stainless alone. So, yeah, it's what I do. I have to be pried away from it sometimes. It's more than an obsession, it's a lifestyle... :)

stoick-the-vast-how-to-train-your-dragon-2_02(3).png
(Me) lol...

Last edited by a moderator:

Crystal

Hi, everyone! I first got into mailling over a decade ago, when I lived in Florida with my ex-husband, and we opened a sword shop. He bought galvanized steel wire and made some rings, then we sat down and played with byzantine, euro 4-in-1, and spiral. It was fun, and the customers seemed to like our chains, but when the store closed and I moved back to PA, I took a bit of a hiatus from the maille. Then, about 3 years ago, I stumbled upon some brightly colored aluminum rings at one of the local craft stores. I picked out a couple of colors and went home to play, and made a pretty necklace, but the rings were low quality, and scratched (and some flaked a bit, as well). I'd really enjoyed putting it together, though, so I went online and found a better source of rings (thanks forever, The RingLord!), ordered $50-worth of aluminum from them, and began refining my knowledge of mailling. I now use mostly stainless steel, though I love niobium, and sometimes use aluminum, jeweler's brass, or fine silver upon request or to expand the options (and price range) for my customers. I mostly do local shows, but have an Etsy shop, LookingBackJewelry. I enjoy learning new weaves, and love seeing what others are doing, as it inspires me to make new pieces and try different techniques!

AJMichaels

Hi! I'm Amanda, 36, married, 4 kids and I have a serious obsession with shiny things. I may or may not have been a dragon in a past life. I've been making chainmaille for about a year and a half, but before that I made beaded jewelry.

GordHavoc

Heya, everyone! Guess I am the newest member of this forum and I am quite sure some of you know me from FB. I have been making armour for about 16 years now and I have been doing the jewellery aspect of chainmail for around six years now. I really would love to make chainmail my full time career, but as it stands now, it is a hobby that sometimes buys pizza and such. Anyway, thanks for allowing me to join!

cafenejunkie

Hi y'all. My name is Tracey aka Cafenejunkie. I am a retired special education teacher and have been working with chain maille for the past 5 or 6 years. I love collecting unusual weaves for creating pendants, bracelets, and rings.

Shannon

image.jpg Hey fellow artisans! Just found this website. Looking forward to browsing and contributing when I have time. Very cool. I've been playing with chainmaille for a good while now. I doubt I'll ever lose my love for it. I very much enjoy forums where there are other like-minded people. ^_^

chris

Hi I'm chris. I been making chainmail for about 4 years now. Seems that time flies when you look back at it. Got started because of someone that i worked with said that i didn't have the skill to do it.

Lassarina

Hi I'm Elizabeth and I am Lassarina on etsy. I've been making chainmail for about 5 years now. I'm recently remarried and I have a 10 year old son who is disabled. I love making new things in my spare time and mostly stick to jewelry because they are small projects that can be finished in a day or so. Lately I have been trying new weaves and expanding my repertoire. I really enjoy chainmail it's my favorite hobby.

Juliak

Hi Everyona!. I am Julia. I have mailled in the past, but now coming back to it after about 7 years...and yes..it's not like riding a bike, you can forget stuff as I am learning. I live in beautiful state of Washington with my hubby and baby girl who just turned one. I am forensic psychologist in the past, served in military...but now aiming more towards IT (who isn't around here?). Maille and silversmithing is a passion, and now that we got our house, I may actually have space enough for everything I want to do :)

Mlouzzz

Hallo! I'm Marlous from the Netherlands and mailing for a few years. Oh wel, not all the time. Some periods I'm totally addicted and other times I'm into something else... But it always comes back! At the moment I'm addicted ;-) Yesterday finished my first dragonscale bracelet and now I'm working on a Coyote Maille bracelet, fun!

Kelly Bean

Hello Everyone! I'm Kelly and have been doing maille for about 3 years. I sell mostly to reenactors or give as gifts to friends, family and teachers. I try and complete at least one piece a day as long as time permits and hope to set up at a renn faire this coming year.

lake158

Established Member
Established Member
I'm Lynanne, and I live in Cottage Country in Ontario Canada. I got into chainmailling a few years ago from a book. I wanted to start to make my own earrings as I have metal sensitivities and I bought a book about making jewellery. In this book I found a section on how to make chainmaille jewellery and I tried it, and have been hooked ever since.

GetChainedUp

Hello fellow maillers!
My name is Michael and I have been chainmailling for about 10 years now. I started in high school wanting to make myself a shirt and it was kind of snowballed into a money hungry hobby that I rather enjoy after my sister bought me one of Rebecca Mojica's books for christmas that year. I now have an etsy shop where I haven't sold any finished pieces yet, but I do have a few tutorials that people have picked up as well as the 4g Copper Behemoth Rings :p

sian griffiths

hi all. I am Sian, i am 34 and 4 kids. i have been mailling seriously for about 8 months or so now, although i have dabbled over the last few years. i do other stuff too, primarily wirework, but seed beading as well. I have been making jewellery for about 5 years now, and am really working on my maille at the mo, i have recently learnt jpl3 and dragonback weaves which i love very much :)

oh, and i live in the uk.

Attachments

• 20150701_104910.jpg
    20150701_104910.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 236