Who's Behind The Computer?

The Tribblelorian

Hello everyone! I'm Megan! I've been casually making maille since 2017 and figured it was time to try and connect with the community rather than lurking.

Carol in Chicago

Hello, All.

I was very active about ten years ago making all kinds of metal and bead jewelry, sometimes selling some things. I tend to be a serial monogamist with crafts, where immersion and innovation in one interest leads to another and there is some kind of repeating cycle going on, with additions and deletions as needed. Now I have cycled back to maille and beaded maille. I enjoy putting hardware into the designs.

Weave Got Maille pointed me to this forum when I inquired about M.A.I.L., and I am forever grateful.

Rudywrongway

Hello All,

Welcome to Chainmaillers.com. Please take a moment to introduce yourself. Let us know who you are and what brings you here, maybe post a picture of yourself and show us what you look like.

We hope you find what you're looking for and enjoy your stay with us. :)

Regards,

The Chainmaillers.com Team
Thanks for the add. I’ve been trying my hand at various weaves off and on for a couple of years. I have mostly made bracelets and necklaces with a few pairs of earrings in the mix. I have recently begun working in stainless steel and even more recently titanium. I’m looking forward to having a look around and gleaning as much info as I can.

Roseyrb

Hi! I've made chainmaille jewelry for over 10 yrs. Most of the jewelry I make uses either sterling silver, copper or bronze metals which I have my husband coil and cut for me. I've made a few items with stainless steel, titanium or aluminum. I tend to lurk more than post.

Alton H

Hello All,

Welcome to Chainmaillers.com. Please take a moment to introduce yourself. Let us know who you are and what brings you here, maybe post a picture of yourself and show us what you look like.

We hope you find what you're looking for and enjoy your stay with us. :)

Regards,

The Chainmaillers.com Team
Helloe! I'm Alton. I've been doing chainmaille since around September 2022. I've been making wire and beaded jewelry since long before that, off and on since I was 9. I'm currently 19, and I've always been fond of jewelry and metal crafts. Generally, I work with base metals that are uncoated, or AA. I wind and cut my own jump rings, as I prefer to know exactly what metal I'm working with, and that isn't always possible with pre-made jump rings purchased online. I make mostly only weaves that can be done with two aspect ratios, and I make those weaves almost exclusively with 20 gauge wire. I'm neurodivergent, and I'd say chainmaille is one of my special interests, and one of my favourite hobbies to pass time. I live in Hawaii, and attend University of Hawaii. I'm frequently experimenting with new weaves, trying out new ideas, and crafting funky little sculptures out of chainmaille.
My favourite accomplishments with chainmaille are unknowingly reproducing a fairly complicated weave called captive orbital hex cage on maille artisans .org, creating a rhombic dodecahedron out of Japanese 4-in-1 cubes, and learning that you can stiffen sheets of Euronpean weave using parallel rings on the surface of the sheet.
I've been looking into using more precious metals for chainmaille, like silver or niobium, as I like making gifts for people, and I know that a lot of the metals I currently use can react with sensitive skin.
I also make wire-wrapped jewelry, mostly from spherical beads.

ShadowSinger

Advertisement
Hi!

I've been making chainmaille jewelry for over 10 years, off and on. Arthritic thumb joints are NOT my friend.

So, I've been slowly working to re-learn and/or adapt techniques I've used in the past as well as trying to find and learn new ones that will hopefully put less stress on the affected joints. I've also begun to incorporate more natural semi-precious stones and/or crystals in my projects.

Sadly, I lost nearly all my hoarded links and patterns to a power surge that out-surged my surge protecter and fried both my computer's hard drive AND my external storage drive. I admit to being completely amazed at how much info is online now!

What else? Hmm. Hmm. Hmm. I love books, orchids (I grow them in my bathroom!), cats, the occasional smart dog, cooking (as long as someone else is on clean-up duty), and I'm the grumpy old lady that will thwack you with a wooden spoon if you take the last of the Nutella brownies. I'll answer to Shadow, Singer, SS, and occasionally "Hey You!" if I'm in a really good mood. Just don't call me early in the morning or late for dinner!

Last edited:

ExquisiteMystery

Like a few others, I am a multi-crafter with sore tendons. I currently crochet, make/repair jewelry (I'd like to learn casting), make beaded jewelry, paint and draw (probably some other stuff, too). I work way too much, and have two actual (and one stray) cats who like to help.
I first ran across chainmaille jewelry at a goth/industrial dance night. And was instantly in love. I still have my 3 sets of earring, 10 years later. I think the crafter went on to make movie maille. She was awesome.
I've inadvertently made some interesting links while repairing/constructing beaded jewelry. So am not afraid to bend the rings, and can identify when something's "not right". But I live in a medium small town, and have limited space, so am looking to figure out how to make captured bead, and radial designs while only getting what's actually necessary/useful. I'll probably gravitate to aluminum and bright colors until I develop skills.
I am excited to look through your photo tutorials, and just enjoy the symmetry of some of the links, though I suspect I'll never reach mastery level.
I'm always happy to chat, as I work second shift. I'm forty plus, a cat person, and enjoy the weird.
It's lovely to meet you all.

faemaille

Like a few others, I am a multi-crafter with sore tendons. I currently crochet, make/repair jewelry (I'd like to learn casting), make beaded jewelry, paint and draw (probably some other stuff, too). I work way too much, and have two actual (and one stray) cats who like to help.
I first ran across chainmaille jewelry at a goth/industrial dance night. And was instantly in love. I still have my 3 sets of earring, 10 years later. I think the crafter went on to make movie maille. She was awesome.
I've inadvertently made some interesting links while repairing/constructing beaded jewelry. So am not afraid to bend the rings, and can identify when something's "not right". But I live in a medium small town, and have limited space, so am looking to figure out how to make captured bead, and radial designs while only getting what's actually necessary/useful. I'll probably gravitate to aluminum and bright colors until I develop skills.
I am excited to look through your photo tutorials, and just enjoy the symmetry of some of the links, though I suspect I'll never reach mastery level.
I'm always happy to chat, as I work second shift. I'm forty plus, a cat person, and enjoy the weird.
Nice to meet you!
Go to YouTube and look up Aussie Maille. You'll be amazed how quickly your skills advance with their videos. Cheers!

Alton H

Honestly I think this is one of those things where nobody really ever reaches mastery. I like to think that we as a group all learn from each other and continue to innovate and grow! Welcome to the forum.

12catcrazy

HI all! I've been doing chainmaille for over 10 years but as I'm another person with muscle and joint issues (age and autoimmune disease issues) I tend to put it down for a while and then pick it back up. I love making beaded chainmaille pieces and I also love color - especially rainbow colors. One of the reasons that I took up chainmaille is because it makes my brain work in ways it usually doesn't. It's not "easy" for me, so it makes me think. I've been working at a fairly brain-dead job for the last 30 plus years so thinking is kind of a good thing (LOL). In addition to chainmaille, I also do beading, some basic wirework and would love to learn silversmithing and enameling. Unfortunately, I live in a smallish apartment with no room for a "studio" and I have 3 cats who love to get into everything, so I have to be careful about hobbies. I'm hoping to retire at the end of 2023 which will give me more time for chainmaille and other fun things.

Makaren

Hi, everyone. I'm Makaren from Arizona. I went through chainmaille jewelry making about 10 years ago then drifted away to other crafting now I'm back. I want to learn some new weaves and I hope being here will help me. I find weaving to be very Zen and I need that calm right now. I'm a little rusty so I'm starting out with my old favorites, Byzantine and Full Persian. So far, so good. I work primarily in aluminum because the lightness and ease of care appeals to the people I gift it to. I may branch out as time goes on.

Cactus Blossom Maille

Hi everybody!

My name is Meghan and I first started mailing in 2018. When coivd came around my workbench became my office desk so I took a break and then life got in the way. I lost my beautiful 13 yo daughter last year in November. I just started mailing again and it has been somewhat cathartic in addition to all the reasons I started. I live in Central AZ (Prescott Valley).

I am excited to learn from everyone and work towards opening my creativity to come up with new designs in addition to all the wonderful tutorials.

My maille hero is Lisa Ellis and all her gobsmaking inlays. My current goal is to eventually try inlays and see how I go from there.

Thank you all for your contribution to this site and for all the wisdom you impart.

anniehugs

Hi all - my name is Anne and I started making maille about three years ago but have just come back to it after a break of about a year. You know how life intrudes - renovating an old property and retiring etc.. I began making jewellery when I came to New Zealand from the UK 13 years ago and started with beads but got a bit bored with that and my husband suggested trying maille. I don't have the faintest idea why he suggested it, he just says he thought it was unusual. He must have seen some somewhere! And that was it. Hooked. I started using aluminium, but I really like working with stainless steel - my work is not dainty! I hope to learn a lot from this site - everyone seems much more advanced than me! So, hello from the wop wops in Wairarapa, New Zealand :)

Phoenix000

Hello everyone! My name is Elaine. I've been playing around with Chainmaille for about 5 years. I've always been fascinated by this artwork, so I decided to give a try and fell in love. I love to try new weaves and colour combinations. I love to see others creations too! I enjoy other crafts as well. I have a scroll saw to cut patterns and paint them. I cross stitch. I'll try other things as they come to light, but I always come back to these three... my beautiful collection of rings and weaves taking the front seat! My goal right now is to adapt one of my simple cross stitch patterns to a Chainmaille piece, or create my own. I have a learning disability, so I bought myself a caliper to check ring sizes, but I find imperial rings take a lot of stress out of the equation (no pun intended lol) so, I simply take it one project at a time.

I did entertain the though of a small business many times, but could not seem to get it together to start one. I made lots of pieces, which I still have. A few weeks ago I was told I am ADHD, which made a ton of sense to me, so, maybe there still is a small business venture in my future now that I know this little secret about myself lol!

ojieokie

hiya :) I'm Jackson. I'm currently making art in Portland, OR. I've dabbled in a lot of mediums, but have stuck with beads and chainmaille for the past couple of years. I'm not great at creating my own patterns, but I enjoy 'collaging' with patterns to make funky mash-ups.

My artistic style leans toward grungy, beachy, imperfect Victorian aesthetics and I try to capture that vibe in my creations. I'm working on building a little fashion business to sell collections that include jewelry, accessories, bags, and clothing.

Despite Portland having chainmaille makers, I haven't had the opportunity to build community in person. So I'm hoping to take part in and find a creative community here!