Captive Bead Sizes

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester
Trying to do a captive bead weave with 6mm beads. I was under the impression that 18g (swg) 1/4" should work fine. Way too tight... 9/32 worked fine. What size does everyone use for 6mm beads? Are my 1/4" just a little too small or are 1/4" too small in general?

Moni

Established Member
Beta Tester
Established Member
I've only done one captive, a bracelet. I think I used 16g and just under 1/2." I make my own rings from wire at JoAnn's and my mandrels are not marked, so I'm guessing. But the id was larger than 1/4, because I tried that and couldn't get the pearls (glass) to stay put.

Juli

I was taught that the ring should be 2 or 3 mm larger than the widest part of the bead. Round beads need a little more wiggle room, while faceted beads give you some extra room at the edges where you need it.

HyperLynks

Vendor
18swg 1/4" will work for 6mm beads - but it's usually the beads that are the problem. Many beads are listed as "6mm" but are in fact anywhere from 5.5mm to 6.5mm in size, and as we know in chainmaille, those slight differences can be a pain. You'll usually be safe using beads that are known to be more precise like brand-name crystals. Gemstones are usually the worst for differences in sizes in one strand of beads.

Arwen Jewell

I used 6.8 id, 1.1 mm wire and it went smoothly. But the 6 mm garnets I used varied slightly in size so I picked the smaller ones. Was going to add a pic, but url... erm.

Arwen Jewell

A Arwen Jewell if you click the little picture icon (the one with the mountain in it) you can paste a URL in the box that pops up :)
So nice of you to reply :) My computer skills have some embarrassing gaps. I was going to post a pic that I had taken with my mobile that I have on my computer. I clicked on the picture icon and didn't know how to add a url for a photo on my laptop. Guess I could use the url from where I posted it on FB... Please don't judge me (smh).

Arwen Jewell

Advertisement
A Arwen Jewell - That's even easier, just drag the photo into the reply window. :D
Oh, cool, thanks so much!
And after all that suspense, here's the captive bead bracelet I made. :)

Attachments

• Captive bead.jpg
    Captive bead.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 653

Jiyu

In a related captured question... Has anyone made like a lanyard capturing dice? I have been trying to figure this out, but for the life of me, cannot get proper ring sizes. Ideally, I'm trying to capture 12mm d6s.

Steph

I used 18swg 1/4" with 6mm beads, but you will probably have to experiment because beads can vary.

MrDeranged

Staff member
Beta Tester

Melody

Established Member
Beta Tester
Contributing Member
I have tried faceted 6mm beads with the 18 1/4 SWG and had no problem. Then I tried 6mm crystal pears that were smooth and it didn't work at all.

Ginger Garnitz

Beta Tester
Last year, I was researching this. I found a discussion on maille that suggests that ring size should be "the diameter of the captive + 1xWD is a good ID, or ID - 1xWD" for the bead size.

This worked for the couple of bead sizes I tried. Do run a line through the beads, no matter how nicely the fit. Bracelets in particular get a lot of flexxing that can cause untethered beads to pop out when you least notice.

Cheryl Sherry

I always use 18 1/4" for 6mm beads but try to pick the smaller beads if they are from a purchased strand from my local craft store. I also use crystals and they tend to be easier to seat in the rings.

NinaR

I did most of the weaves that I tried with no problem at all, or nearly no problems. But that captive bead...tried so many combos and with no success. Gonna try again tomorrow.

TracyH

I've had good success with fire mountain 6mm round cracked glass beads combined with 18g 1/4 rings from Chainmaille Joe. Wove easily and haven't lost a bead yet.